Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dr. Seuss Nursery

One of the first things I began to plan when Papa Bear and I found out there would be a little Baby Bear was the nursery. There were so many cute, gender-neutral themes and color schemes to choose from! In spite of Papa Bear's protests, we did not find out if we were having a boy or a girl until the day Baby Bear was born.

One day, while searching the Babies R Us site for the umpteenth time, I came across a Dr. Seuss crib bedding set, and I was in love! It was a little on the boyish side, but deep down I was pretty sure our Baby Bear was a boy, anyway. This led me to search for pictures other people had posted of Seuss-themed nurseries, which led me to projecting and painting my own images on the nursery walls.

I began by choosing the images I wanted to include. Then, I connected a projector to my laptop and projected the images one at a time where I wanted to paint them. I stenciled the outline of where each color would go in pencil. Next, I painted each color (it looked like a bunch of color blobs at this point). Finally, I carefully reprojected the images onto the wall so that I could trace all the details in black Sharpie. For the quotes above two of the pictures I just used letter stencils and paint. My wrists ached, and I must have gone through almost two dozen Sharpies, but I had fun, and it was a great way to pass the time during my third trimester.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 peeking out from the sides of the window. I had to manipulate these images a little on my computer before projecting them to get them at these angles.

Horton

Crib with Cat in the Hat bedding (I used a different sheet because I thought the one that came with it was too busy). I also framed some flashcards themed from Dr. Seuss's ABC's to spell Baby Bear's name above the crib.
Balloon guy

You can find these decor items and more at babiesrus.com and at seussland.com. I was pleased to discover the other day that the Seuss Land site has added many more items to their store. What a great way to share a love of reading with a baby right from the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment