Monday, April 16, 2012

Gardening with a Toddler, Part 1

A couple weeks ago, my husband and I had some landscaping done around the house. I asked the guys working on the project to add mulch to the small flower bed between the walkway and house in the back and then leave it alone. They kept asking me if I was sure I didn't want such-and-such plants there; they couldn't believe I wanted an empty flower bed when every other area around the house was done. I was sure. I had special intentions for that flower bed.

Baby Bear and I spend a lot of time outdoors. He likes picking flowers, examining them, and then pulling them apart. He loves digging in the dirt and playing with the hose. So, that empty flower bed is becoming our toddler-friendly garden. Today, Baby Bear helped me scatter wildflower seeds over the mulch and then lightly water the area to keep them from blowing away. A couple times a week I will take him out there to help water again, and I will point out any noticeable growth. This garden will be hands-on in that he will be allowed to dig, water, and, eventually, pick whatever grows there. Throughout this process, I hope he will learn a little about plants, how they grow, and caring for living things.



1 comment:

  1. That is so cute! I'd love to do this with my little guy, I think he would have so much fun! Thanks for sharing on Kid's Co-Op!

    ReplyDelete