Saturday, April 21, 2012

Rice Sensory Box

As mentioned in my last post, Baby Bear and I are talking about colors we see in nature as a part of our Earth Day celebration. To run with this theme, I made a colored rice sensory box for Baby Bear to play with and explore.

To color the rice, I poured approximately 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol and about 10 drops of food coloring into a Ziplock bag, one bag for each color. I added about 1 cup dry rice, sealed the bag, and shook it until all the rice was coated with color. I left the rice to absorb the color for a little over an hour, and then I laid it out to dry for another hour or so. For this sensory box I used "green like grass," "blue like the sky," and "white like clouds."

Baby Bear was in heaven! The box was full of small items that he could pick up, stir, and pour from one container to another. I tried adding a few small items to the box, but Baby Bear just stared them down and then threw them out. He thought the colorful rice was fun all on its own.

Stirring and trying to pick up the rice with his giant tweezers

Staring down a porcupine ball before tossing it from the bin

Where did his hand go?

There it is!!!

Silly boy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment