Thursday, November 17, 2011

30 Day Challenge Part G

Day 14: Act Out a Story
First of all, let me just say that, as a teacher, I love that this activity was included in the 30 Day to Hands On Play Challenge! Reading books to your kids is awesome, but making them come alive and really having fun with them... well, that's just phenomenal!

For this activity, I decided to stick with something familiar for Baby Bear. With books, he likes to look at the pictures, so instead, we used our flannel board to tell the story of The Three Little Pigs. This is something we've done at least once a week since making the flannel board, so he was able to help with the pieces as I told the story.

Adding the Big Bad Wolf to the flannel board for the story

Baby Bear almost always helps with the huff and puff parts.

When I get to the part about the brick house at the end of the story, Baby Bear likes to reach up and feel the bricks around the fireplace.

 Day 15: Playing with Junk
When I first read about this challenge to create something out of junk, I was interested but at a loss as to what Baby Bear and I could create. Visualizing something out of nothing doesn't come as easily to me as it does to Papa Bear, so we waited until he got home.

I thought for sure Papa Bear would make a robot out of the recycling, but instead, he opted for simple hats. Whereas I had hoped for more, Baby Bear liked this and kept trying to put the hats back on when they fell off.

As soon as I grabbed the black crayon to start drawing, Baby Bear excitedly grabbed it and began drawing on every piece of paper trash he could get his hands on.

While flipping through ideas to entertain my toddler, I came across this idea for a no-sew tail on Irresistible Ideas. The blog name said it all, and I used some of our recycling to make Baby Bear a tail! I filled a nylon with scraps of junk mail (haha!) and tied it off with a piece of leftover ribbon.

Of course, Mama had to wear the tale, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment