Monday, June 11, 2012

Pine Cone Bird Feeders

I'm not sure if it was my sisters or me who made these in school, but I remember having pine cone bird feeders around our house when we were very young. One day last week when Baby Bear was collecting pine cones under a tree in our yard, I remembered these bird feeders and resolved to make them with Baby Bear. So, today, we did just that. All it takes to make pine cone bird feeders is pine cones, peanut butter, bird seed, and string.

The supplies

Baby Bear rolling the pine cones in peanut butter. I presented him with one plate at a time because when both were within reach, all he wanted to do was combine them. It took a lot of convincing to get him to not eat/stop eating the peanut butter off the plate as he was rolling the pine cones.

Baby Bear rolling the peanut butter covered pine cones in bird seed. He thought this part was pretty cool! At first, he wanted to try eating the bird seed, too, but it only took one taste test to convince him that it was bird food, not people food.

I tied some string around the tops of the pine cones and hung them from a tree in the back yard. Baby Bear loves watching nearby birds as he plays, so hopefully he gets to see them on the feeders he made.

On a separate note, for summer time, I've decided to cut blog posts down to 2-3 times a week rather than 3-4 times. With the added activities, increased amount of time spent outdoors, and potential upcoming trips, I think one less post per week is more feasible for the next couple of months. So, still check back often, but don't wonder if I've fallen off a cliff somewhere when I disappear for a few days at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment